The movie Top Gun: Maverick is breaking box office records. Here are some questions that online scholars may ponder to develop their understanding of the film.
- Mathematics. How do the box office receipts compare to other movies? What does it mean to adjust the receipts for inflation?
- Physics. Which flying maneuvers generate forces on the pilots and why? What kinds of forces are generated? Why do some airplanes fly faster than others?
- Computer science. How does the missile keep itself pointed at the targeting laser dot?
- Biology. Why do the pilots experience physical distress when subjected to the forces generated while flying?
- History. Which real country is most closely analogous to the fictional one that is attacked in the movie?
- Philosophy. When (if ever) is it morally permissible for one country to go to war with another?
- Geography. Why do the locations in the movie display such different landforms and vegetation?
- Writing. What is the most memorable part of the story in the movie? What issues arise when you are writing a sequel?
Have fun discussing among yourselves!